A blog dedicated to asking if what Jesus said and taught and did is true. If it is, then how should we live? Should we live as if?

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Because I Suck

Earlier today I was tempted to revel in the accomplishments done this summer: some things were done that were really cool and never would I have been doing them 6 months ago. Things like: intervening to keep my oldest brother from losing his house; stepping into the marriage of friends to save it from destruction by sin; sharing (generally) Godly wisdom with my other brother to keep him from falling off a figurative cliff.

Not bad.

And then I was reminded by the Holy Spirit of how I never could have done any of these things if it hadn't been his will and empowering of me to do his will.

Ouch.

Ok, kind of humbling, but then being reminded of what his word says about me was just uncool:

Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
(Rom 8:8 ESV)


Big Ouch.

I sucketh.
Big Ouch, big time.

But then the cool part happened. Because God was kind enough to remind me that that was only part of the story, he took me to another spot in his word:
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(Rom 5:8 ESV)

Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
(Rom 5:9 ESV)

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
(Rom 5:10 ESV)

More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
(Rom 5:11 ESV)

Constant condemnation isn't cool, but neither is making much of myself. Maybe there really is a better way . . .

Followers


Technocrati